For those who feel as if they were born in the wrong era, The Quintessential Victorian is a place for you to indulge in all things Victorian. Fix a cup of tea, relax, and allow yourself to be transported to the most glorious era in history...

Monday, October 14, 2013

Emma's World-It's About Time


 Keeping time in the Victorian era looked much different than the digital world in which we live today.
Instead of an electrical cord or batteries clocks were wound with a key.
 
The clock was powered by the swing of a pendulum.
Some were very ornately embellished.
 
Clock faces varied greatly from simplistic to fancy designs...

 A series of gears, chimes, and other workings kept the clock running.
 
Various types of clocks could be found in Victorian homes including grandfather clocks, 
mantel clocks,
and shelf clocks.
 
Most clocks were eight day clocks wound weekly using a key.
Two holes in the face of the clock were used, one to wind the chimes and the other for the time.
 
The rhythmic tick tock of an antique clock announcing the hour with melodic chimes to pass the time of day is a comforting sound indeed.
How do you prefer to keep time?

3 comments:

  1. Hi Kim,
    Pretty clocks. I have two antique clocks in my living room. They belonged to my great uncle. I just love antique clocks and the tick, tick, tick of them...it's a nice sound for me, I like to fall asleep to it.
    Thanks for sharing and have a great week,
    Gina

    ReplyDelete
  2. They are beautiful. I have a mantle clock that is in need of repair. I no longer have a fireplace to mantle it on...need to locate her since she's boxed up. Your clocks are lovely and I would think they would be beautiful through-out your lovely home.

    Blessings to you this Autumn,
    d

    ReplyDelete
  3. Kim I am so excited about this beautiful blog! I was thinking of you today so I went to your other one and followed the link here. So happy to see all the beautiful photos of you on the sidebar!!!! Your clock faces are all so pretty!
    many hugs from here...

    ReplyDelete